After the Samsung Galaxy S3 was released, there were many rooting tools introduced into the market due to its increase in demand. Rooting the OS can help us do many custom operations like unlocking, customization of apps, different ROMs, custom kernels etc. Once you root your mobile, you can have better custom control over it where you can perform lot of operations. It is a tricky process and should be carefully carried out. If the processes are not followed exactly that might leave the phone damaged and dead.
- Install custom apps,
- Remove internal built-in apps,
- Modify internal settings,
- Add Custom recovery feature,
- Install Custom ROM firmware,
- Unlock you mobile.
So, with all these options after rooting we will be able to customize, optimize and power up the performances of your smartphone.
Rooting ~ step by step procedure:
Rooting process is the basis for any further customization options like creating recovery image, loading custom ROMs, and etc.
- Download the root folder from the following link and save it on your computer.
- On your preferred location, extract files from the archive.
- On your phone, navigate to Menu -> Settings -> Security and enable the “Unknown Sources” option.
- On your phone, enable the USB Debugging option from Menu -> Settings -> Developer options -> USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to the computer and transfer the folder to your device.
- Double click on RootDebugfs.bat file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
The rooting is done, once the above execution is completed.
Installing clockwordmod recovery ~ step by step procedure:
Once your device is rooted based on above instructions, the clockworkmod recovery can be installed on your phone. Ensure that you have at least 60% of battery prior to installing this recovery procedure.
- Download and install the ROM Manager app on your device using this Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager
- Launch the ROM Manager.
- Click the option named, “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery”.
- It’ll bring up a screen with the list of compatible devices, tap on your device name.
- The recovery will now be downloaded and installed on your device.
This procedure successfully installs the Clockworkmod recovery on your S3.
Creating a custom recovery image ~ Step by Step procedure:
After rooting an S3, custom recovery images can be created, as all Android systems have a recovery partition. This recovery image can later be used if the OS has crashed and to reflash the OS for device recovery.
- Launch the ROM Manager that you installed in the previous step and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and choose your device.
- When you select the Superuser prompt, choose the “Grant” option.
- The recovery image is created after it displays “Successfully flashed”.
Loading Custom ROMs ~ Step by step procedure:
Only if the device is rooted and a recovery image is created based on the steps mentioned above, Custom ROMs can be flashed into the device. All the different types of ROMs developed have their own differences, so try few and find which the best based on your usage.
- Select the ROM that you prefer based on your S3, then download it as a .zip file to your computer.
- Once downloaded, copy the .zip file without extracting, to the device’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device from the computer and open ROM Manager from your apps.
- Select the Reboot into Recovery option and the device would start rebooting after that.
- After entering into the recovery mode following the reboot process, use the volume buttons to navigate(selecting through options) and power button to select Backup and Recovery.
- Choose the Backup option and select yes for confirmation. This might take some time so you’ll have to wait till it completes.
- Select Wipe Data / Factory option ->Select Flash zip from sdcard.
- Select the copied zip(ROM) file from sdcard and choose it. Click yes for confirmation and wait for the process to finish flashing.
- Once it has finished flashing, Select Reboot System Now. It is the newly flashed ROM after the reboot is done.
Rohit Reddy is the editor of GadgetResearch, where he writes about the latest in gadgets and technology. An avid Star Wars fan, Rohit is usually seen reading and watching basketball in his free time.